Default Don't use USPS here's an example...

I got screwed on a textbook my wife was selling. I sold it on half.com and the post office lost it so I had to give the $75 back to the buyer. The USPS sent the book back to my old address (FAIL! mother and father in laws house) and it looked like someone flipped it off of the back of a truck and rolled it down 3 flights of stairs. Now I can't sell it because it damaged and everyone is done buying books for the semester.
    So it was 1. lost 2. damaged 3. returned to the wrong address. Epic fail got to love the USPS.

I'll start off by saying 99 percent of the time I have no issue with USPS. I also am friendly with my carrier and he's good to me.

Unfortunately, I've had a couple issues. Once was I had bought a Voyager DVD set, new in packaging. When I got it in the plastic casing had tons of cracks in it, looked like it had been crushed under other, heavier packages. The worst part was that the seller had packaged it in a box, not bubble wrap. He had done his part and the package STILL was damaged.

That and I've always had probs with international packages. I got a happy birthday letter from a friend in France almost 3 years after she had sent it. Thats the worst one of all.

www.RetroReviewRevolution.com - My videos, blogs, and more!

Well, for anything within the 14oz weight limit of USPS 1st Class Mail qualification I ship USPS. Anything heavier than that and I price check with FedEx and UPS because they tend to equivalent in pricing in many cases. And anything over five pounds I send UPS ro FedEx without even checking USPS, because USPS will unquestionably be higher on stuff beyond the five pound mark.

Also, simply putting a DVD box set in a box is insufficient. If there's space for the contents to rattle around loosely, then there needs to be packing material buffering the item or you're just asking for trouble.
    ~/\/\/\/\/\/\~
    View my current Game Gavel listings:
    https://www.gamegavel.com/sites/omega_supreme/

So far Ive recieved everything Ive ever bought from the state over here to Canada. However an item I once sent to the states never arrived. Im not a fan of Courier, Ive had items arrive a bit quicker, but it has always cost me more then the item I bought. $50 game would cost me an aditional $60+ when it arrives. Ive never recieved anything over 5 pounds so I dont know how the rates are effected when you use courier to ship out of the country.

I've only had one issue with the USPS.

Love how they put it into a bag with the phrase "We Care" on it.

After 15 years and about 1,000 eBay transactions (just a guess - 713 feedback) I have only had three packages damaged or lost, including incoming and outgoing. One was a USPS package and two were UPS. One of the UPS packages was a computer monitor, the driver left it at my front door with the top of the box sagging in and soaked with a blue liquid that smelled like cleaning chemicals. There is no way he didn't see that. I also had the UPS driver (we called this guy the "big brown clown") drop a personal package adressed to my house at my work, because he recognized my name. When I asked why the hell he decided to do that, he said he didn't want to have to go up my driveway. My maintenance guys opened the box and thought I bought them a Gamecube. Now I package everything like its one of those "drop the egg off the roof and have it survive" contests, but lots of my incoming packages are packed terribly. I guess I have just been lucky.

Quick update. As of last month (March 2013) all packages shipped through USPS receive a mandatory USPS Tracking Number. This officially replaces the once optional Delivery Confirmation Number.
    ~/\/\/\/\/\/\~

http://consumerist.com/2013/06/13/eb...y-a-signature/

A woman in California recently sold a laptop computer of hers on eBay for $1,300, but it never arrived at the buyer’s house. The seller had paid the U.S. Postal Service for insurance and delivery confirmation on the package, so she should be able to get her money back and see who signed for the package. Not quite.
    She tells CBS Sacramento’s Kurtis Ming that USPS denied her insurance claim because the package was delivered and signed for as requested, but when she asked to see the proof of signature, the box was blank. So either the recipient had signed in invisible ink or no one had signed at all because the package was lost or stolen in transit.
    Nope, insisted USPS, that’s a signature. She appealed her claim twice and no one would admit that there was absolutely no proof that the package had been delivered. In fact, all evidence seemed to show that the package had not arrived.
    Meanwhile, the eBay buyer was able to get his $1,300 back through PayPal. And so the seller was out $1,300 and the laptop that vanished into thin air.
    “Quite honestly I kind of feel like I’m being robbed by the Post Office,” she tells Ming.
    Of course, once CBS got involved, the Postal folks suddenly cared… well, sort of.
    The USPS admitted that the woman’s insurance claim should never have been denied, but offered no explanation as to why it denied the claim three separate times.
    “We don’t know for sure what happened,” a Postal rep tells Ming, presumably before looking up at the clock and deciding to take a 90-minute lunch.
    But now that USPS admits this package went missing and is out $1,300 of its own, surely it will be looking into the matter.
    Oh wait.
    “We are not investigating,” says the rep.
    That’s the spirit!

www.RetroReviewRevolution.com - My videos, blogs, and more!

Well leathco, I would expect no less from a government agency. I mean we're talking about people in an agency that is under the direct control of Congress... the same people who recess themselves from work better than half the year, have never failed to vote themselves massive annual pay raises, and do nothing but whine complain and grumble (in no paticular order) about their collegues during those few very short periods of time that they do have to work. And I'm being far to lenient in even using the term "work" when referring to The Congress, but I'd really like to think that they do something which warrants their stupidly insane salaries...

But back on subject, I have some quick notes on all the changes USPS has made in recent months that make them at least a viable delivery service once again.

Tracking Numbers... unlike women on the internets, they DO exist!
    Delivery confirmation is over with, dead, stick a fork in it son, it's done! Packages now automatically receive a <gasp!> real tracking number! Yes siree lads, that's our tax dollars hard at work right there, only took the USPS about two decades longer than there competition to implement, but at least it's a reality now. Gets the PayPal Buyer Protection Monkey off our backs.

Flat Rate Priority Mail Boxes, they're baaaack!
    It only took them what, three years or so, to figure out that regional flat rates were confusing to consumers? Regardless, Flat Rate National Priority Mail boxes are back! Okay, so still a bit higher for delivery to Alsaka, Hawaii and the terrotories, but it's still a markable improvement.

Yeah baby! Shipping discounts if you buy and print your own postage online!
    If you have a working printer and a Debit or Credit Card, or a PayPal account, then you have all you need to buy and print out your own Priority Mail flat rate shipping boxes postage online. And if you also have a good working postage scale you can purchase and print postage for non-flat rate packages at a slight discount too! A penny saved is a penny I get to keep! ^_^

May "We the People" rejoice! USPS Is viable once again!
    ~/\/\/\/\/\/\~