Default Headcannon Game Engine

Hi!

I've recently been in talks with Mike Kennedy regarding how best to handle this. I'm still awaiting further discussion, but I'm just as excited about it now as when I first saw the Facebook page

Once the hardware is settled and I have access to a devkit, I plan to bring my Headcannon Game Engine to the Retro VGS

HCGE is a multiplatform game engine and set of development tools for creating retro-type sprite&tile-based games. Tools for development are available for Windows, Linux, and OSX, while games created with them can currently be played on Windows, Linux, OSX, PSP(CFW), Wii(Homebrew Channel), 3DS(Homebrew Launcher) GP2XWiz, and GCWZero. It's capable of, but not limited to, things such as those seen in this video:

Not included in the video are two original game projects made with HCGE that I hope to also release for the Retro VGS when they are ready:

Fantastic Franklin - A puzzle-platformer originally created for Ludum Dare that is currently in very primitive state. Several bugs have already been fixed locally, and there are plans to add several new gameplay elements such as various gimmicks and enemies

"Bone Rattle" (title pending) - a twitch-action platformer that is in early development. This image comes from the linked devblog, and exhibits chain physics intended to be used with the character's whip, which has applications for both attack and mobility

Want to start developing now? Tools and other-platform builds for HCGE are already available at the official homesite. Open example games and documentation in a form similar to a technical manual are available at the same site, while written and video tutorials are forthcoming. An introductory video is avaialable now, but it will become obsolete due to major upcoming enhancements to the editing interfaces and script system, some of which are detailed in this blog post. It still contains useful basic information, though, and still applies to currently-available builds

Need help? I try to provide support when possible. There is a support forum, as well as an IRC channel

I've been developing HCGE around and between jobs over the last 11 years, but I want to move faster and try more complicated things with it. If you want to help make that possible, for your own use or for other developers, take a look at my Patreon page and consider becoming a patron, and share the link with others

I'm waiting eagerly for a chance to bring this system to the Retro VGS!

Thread just got approved; bumping to regain "new"/"unread" status

I noticed a reoccurring thing with everything the video shows.
    None of it is in wide screen.
    Is it safe to say a game could be made to be wide screen in this engine?
    I'm no programmer, but it's nice to see an engine for folks to use even show up on this forum.
    Gives great hope.
    If i was any kind of programmer, i would use this engine to make a successor to Kid Chameleon.(it's like my favorite game on the genesis).

Right now, the engine still shows its roots by officially supporting only 320x240 resolution. I'm still working out the details on how support for varying resolution can be properly integrated, but I have experimented with one wide-screen resolution in the past

Modifying the graphic system that way is one of the things I need some more time for, which is why I've put more focus on engine performance and editing features with what I've had to-date. If I'm able to get more, it may be possible to seriously look into it. If nothing else, a special build that specifically targets a widescreen RVGS resolution could potentially be made if there's sufficient demand, but you wouldn't be able to run the same game properly on other platforms without some modification

I would think a proper wide screen resolution would be something like 425x240, i have messed with other software before.. and that usually is about right for something low res yet wide screen.
    Since i'm not a developer nor a programmer though, i can't really show any sort of demand.
    I'm lucky to know how to do pixel art.
    But since i knew this console is capable of wide screen aspects, i figured i would ask about it.

Hi Headcannon! I'm not a developer but just wanted to say this looks brilliant and I'm glad you'll be supporting the RetroVGS with your game engine and games! I'll definitely be buying your games on the system!