Default How will you hook it up?

Personally, i still have a CRT.
    And my HD TV has a CRT Mode that filters the picture like a CRT when you plug it into the RCA jacks.
    So i won't be using the HDMI simply cause i want that old school feel.

How about all of you?
    You going to use it on an HD TV or a CRT?

I do most of my gaming on a 1080p projector. I often struggle to hook up older consoles through my AV amp and have to rely on a really old LCD TV to play on some of my systems which ruin's th picture.

So I'm really happy there is a HDMI output and will most definitely be using that.

I keep meaning to buy a CRT for my older systems but I just don't have room in my flat for one.

Yeah i don't have room in my bedroom for one myself.
    My CRT is in storage until i have room.

Primarily HDMI for me.

I appreciate the preference for old school CRT aesthetics but quite honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. I'm primarily interested in being able to play games in the comfort of my lounge room on a large screen. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

It should be possible to emulate scanlines, for example, on HDMI output (within the FPGA), not to mention other cool effects. Whether that floats your boat or not, is of course dependent on your own opinion.

I did not think that would be possible honestly.
    Nor did i think such a thing was being considered.
    And if there is one thing i dislike about older games blown up in HD is how moasic and block and.. how you can SEE and makeout the pixel art to the point of being able to sit and replicate graphics you're seeing.
    All i know is i notice a huge difference when i hook my Sega Saturn to a CRT vs HD, it comes off smoother, and softer and more rounded in places.
    The graphics just look nicer and blend more.
    Likewise, when i play old games in emulators on my PC, i DO mess with screen filtering plug ins and so forth, like HQ2 and so on and so forth.
    Never been a big fan of how old school games look now days when played.
    When i played shovel knight, i kept wondering how much better to ME it would have looked on an actual CRT rather than in HD.
    That's just sort of how i am.
    Not sure what you would call me, someone said there was a word for what i am... i just feel old games look better on a CRT or filtered.

Scanlines can make good pixel art look amazing, no question.

I'm not nuts about scan lines.
    I do like other filters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ponder Jr. View Post
    I'm not nuts about scan lines.
    I do like other filters though.
    You should be. Those are the very thing that made your old games look so pleasing to the eye on your CRT television. They soften the pixels and get rid of that blocky look.
    scans.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ponder Jr. View Post
    I did not think that would be possible honestly.
    Nor did i think such a thing was being considered.
    Check out the HiDefNES project on YouTube by Kevtris.

I have before.
    I think the reason i feel scan lines look like crap to me is, maybe because there is no emulator that does it right.
    I tried using it on my sega genesis emulator, and it looks like shit... then i tried on a snes one.. still looks like shit.
    So i tend to prefer interpolation mixed with something like HQ2.
    Last edited by Michael Ponder Jr.; 07-13-2015 at 11:31 PM.